Another last night and nothing to do all day made sleeping in an easy choice. The day began in earnest at noon, however, when Blake told us that people were heading down to Picadilly Circus to Lillywhites.
We headed to the Tube station and I was headed into que, I noticed a familiar head. Fellow Moteter Christine Buras is spending the year at King’s College – London and was more than surprised to here “STEEN” yelled in a Chelsea train station. She was glad to see a few of us, whom she recognized, and we chatted for a while before running off to catch the train.
Once downtown, we headed to Lillywhites, a HUGE sports store in Picadilly Circus, to get a football (a real football, not an American one). They had more than enough to choose from and we were soon on our way to St. James’ park where we intended to try out our new purchase.
St. James’ Park is HUGE with a lake in the center and loads of green space all around it. We picked a corner with some fences around it, and began to kick the ball around. Shortly, we were joined by a friendly guy who I think might have been Kenyan, but I’m not sure. We think his name is Ahmad, but no one is really sure. Another player made for a great 2-2-2 World Cup with me in net (fence).
The game was great, we played for well over an hour and most of us were exhausted by the end. Nearly lost the ball a few times, but friendly strangers helped us out, which is always refreshing to see.
We left St. James’ park and headed to find some food and water, but between us and our destination was an ice cream truck. A few of us got popsicles, which were wonderful. I felt like a young kid leaving a fall soccer game with my orange Popsicle as we headed pub-wards.
We grabbed water and food at The Devonshire arms, which was great. Apparently, roast beef is a very common Sunday food, so I ordered that and wasn’t disappointed at all. We had a top room to ourselves, which was nice, and made for a great lunch.
We headed home via Tube and I spent the evening reading for tomorrow and keeping tabs on the Twins, White Sox, and various football games. I’ve never been so thankful for Day games!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have it on good authority that the only person to hit more pubs than you is Rick Steves!!!!!
Post a Comment