The Political Scientist in me is glad I was able to see the debate last night, but the realist in me knows so little was said that sleep would have been better. Obama killed McCain in pretty much every discernable way and yet neither candidate distinguished themselves from the other. Tie goes to the leader, Obama, and McCain will now be forced to play an even worse game of catch-up.
I was late to class today, though it was hardly my fault. Poor communication between Ryan and I meant that we were ready to shower at about the same time, which set me back a few minutes. Given all the places to lose time, 2 min late isn’t worth sweating over, especially since no attendance is taken and Murin has admitted he isn’t learning names.
The second half of class was interesting today, which made a nice shift from the rest of the week. Not that the discussion of dragons is scintillating, but he actually let us talk and we established a few interesting things by our observations from the text. In case it isn’t clear, my expectations for Prof. Murin are “Sarah Palin low”.
Lunch was at a Fish and Chips place in Bloomsbury, so between I feel like I’ve now hit all the necessary British foods: Ale, Fish and Chips, Meat Pie, and various mediocre sandwiches from Tesco. The Fish and Chips were good and not ungodly expensive, but probably not so good that it will become a regular place.*
*So far, we have two “regular” places. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese for its atmosphere and cheap pints, and Hummus Bros. for its proximity to the IES center and 50p Lattes. Yeah, they may only be 8oz, but for 50p, it’s the best deal I’ve found on anything here.
For the second time since I've been here, I stumbled upon a friend studying here. Emily Kaiser was headed the opposite way on the escalator in Holburn station. For a city so large, it seems awfully small to me!
Most of the rest of the afternoon and evening was spent in the room, marginally working, mostly trying not to fall asleep. Ryan and I found the greatest show on TV called Mock the Week, which I am totally enamored with right now. It is as funny as SNL in its heyday and twice as clever.
Tomorrow begins the random IES class on London and its multiethnicity. My expectations are low, but I’m in the mood to be pleasantly surprised, so we shall see which impulse is the correct one tomorrow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment